The Top 12 Essential
Carschool Educational Supplies
Stock up on supplies to prepare your mobile classroom for every educational opportunity that comes along. Here are the essential basic items that car educators recommend you keep on hand:
- CD Player or iPod – so you can listen to audiobooks and other educational recordings.
- CDs and Audiofiles – Books, stories, and songs on audiocassette tape or on CD are the mainstay of carschools everywhere
- Paper, Notebooks, Scratch Pads, Journals, Coloring Books – you will need a good supply of paper so that your students can draw, write, and keep game scores.
- Writing & Drawing Tools: Pencils, Pens, Colored Pencils, Crayons * , Markers, & Highlighters – these writing/drawing implements will be used over and over again in activities that help the miles pass quickly.
- Erasers, Sharpeners – Erasers or eraser-tipped pencils for correcting car game scores and tally marks are a must. You’ll need a pencil sharpener too, but get one that has a plastic bubble shield over the sharpener that will catch the shavings so they don’t wind up on the car floor or permanently stuck in the little grooves of the console.
- Books – For kids who don’t get carsick, be sure to bring along books to read.
- Activity Books & Worksheets – Crossword Puzzles, Mazes, Word Searches, and arithmetic workbooks provide practice in Language Arts and Math.
- Camera – Keep a durable digital camera or disposable camera handy and let the kids capture those special moments in photographs while documenting your carschooling lessons and adventures.
- Field Guides – Used for identifying Rocks, Trees, Birds, Flowers, Animals, Reptiles, Insects, etc. You never know what miracle of nature you’ll see while looking out of the car windows.
- Magnifying Glass – talk about a boredom buster! Keep an inexpensive magnifying glass available for each passenger and let them examine everything with it.
- A Repertoire of Car Songs – From “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” in rounds to “This Is The Song That Never Ends,” singing in the car is fun for the whole family.
- A Selection of Car Games & Activities – Keep the book, Carschooling: Over 350 Entertaining Games & Activities to Turn Travel Time into Learning Time, in the glove compartment of your car! It offers a wealth of suggestions in many subject areas such as math, science, history, language arts, and more that will serve as inspiration while your on the road!
*Note: Square, beeswax crayons (available from HeathSong® Catalog) won’t roll off lap desks when you’re driving. Remember that any type of crayons can melt in the car on a hot day, so keep them isolated in their own containers in cool, shady spots, or put them in the cooler to prevent waxy messes.